Position Summary: Working under the direct supervision of the HOPE Pre-Release Program Director and ultimately accountable to the Executive Director of the Foundation of HOPE, the Program Assistant implements administrative procedures and other programmatic tasks as assigned in the HOPE Pre-Release office of Allegheny County Jail.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist as needed in all aspects of general office coordination.
- Interact with and assist program staff, inmate participants, jail staff, and volunteers.
- Coordinate and facilitate weekly inmate participant orientation.
- Coordinate and serve as registrar/administrative support for Saturday trainings (~8/year).
- Maintain, order, and collect needed supplies and assist with overall maintenance of the office.
- Answer telephones and transfer calls or messages to appropriate staff member.
- Open, sort, answer, and/or distribute incoming correspondence, including requests and applications.
- Perform a variety of clerical duties including, but not limited to, data entry, copying, faxing, mailing, grading homework, and filing/retrieving documents and records.
- Monitor, update, and maintain the organization’s applicable databases.
- Create and/or modify documents such as reports, memos, letters, and/or financial statements using word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and/or other software including Microsoft Office or other programs.
- Prepare books and mailing information for inmate participants to read to children as part of parent book recording program.
- Assist with leading groups or classes for inmate participants.
- Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of participant, staff, volunteer, and agency information.
- Maintain professionalism in communications, personal interactions, and dress.
- Must be culturally competent and sensitive to all religious worldviews and backgrounds.
- Must be comfortable working in a correctional setting.
- Must be able to pass all necessary clearances.
- Must attend all necessary trainings including initial security training.
- Support Foundation of HOPE staff in assigned project‐based work.
- Assist in special events, such as fundraising activities and appreciation dinners.
- Other duties as assigned by HOPE Pre-Release Staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Computer literate; experience with Excel, Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Web based services.
- Good writing, analytical, and problem‐solving skills.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, planning, records management, and general administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability or willingness to learn to operate standard office equipment, including but not limited to, computers, telephone systems, scanners, copiers, and fax machines.
- Experience in general office responsibilities and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of basic office management and organization.
- Desire to work with and help people seeking growth and transformation.
- Ability to work well either alone or as part of a team.
Hours – 30 hours per week
Salary Range – $14-$15/hour commensurate with experience
Benefits – Benefits include generous vacation and paid time off, pension, continuing education time/funds, parking contribution
How to Apply
- In order to apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Rev. Caitlin Werth.
- Applications that do not contain all three required components will not be considered.
- Application deadline: December 31, 2018