Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Foundation of HOPE.
Become a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Foundation of HOPE. We recruit and train mature volunteers from religious and secular communities in the Pittsburgh area to support us in fulfilling our organizational mission by sharing their time and talents with us.
We always need volunteers in our Chaplaincy, Pre-Release, Aftercare, and Diversion programs. Volunteers teach classes, visit incarcerated individuals, lead worship services, serve as mentors, help with office work, and perform many other tasks. We believe that everyone has a gift to offer; there is no task too small to make a difference.
Volunteer Commitment and Requirements
Consistency is crucial to participant success and is something that sets us apart. Please read our required commitment carefully before applying.
- Volunteering is a weekly or monthly commitment depending on the program. Volunteers who can make a year-long commitment will be prioritized.
- Volunteer commitments typically last between 1-2 hours per week or month. Attendance is required and monitored.
- All volunteers are required to complete clearance paperwork.
- Chaplaincy volunteers are required to submit a letter of support from their faith community/leader. Additional documentation may be required for other programs.
- All volunteers are required to attend Security Training and Volunteer Application Process before beginning volunteering. New volunteer training is offered twice per year.
- Volunteer events and follow-up training will be offered throughout the year, some of which may be required.
Volunteer Application Process
Our application process begins with the online application link. The process of becoming a volunteer is selective, however previous experience is not required. The Foundation of HOPE provides training both before a volunteer is placed and throughout a volunteer’s participation.
- Online application submission
- Interview with volunteer coordinator
- Clearance forms submission
- Attendance at mandatory trainings
- Volunteer acceptance and placement
- Clearance approval and onboarding complete
- Start of volunteering!